Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM (oracle 11 g r2 , solaris 10 , two node cluster)
installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545373] Tue, 28 February 2012 23:31 Go to next message
janakors
hi experts,
i want to install oracle real application cluster using shared file system and not using ASM. we are not creating LUN for our data to kept and SAN admin will give us NFS share where we will place the database.if someone can paste a link of documentation where to read , it would be very kind of him.

kindly guide

Regards
Re: installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545404 is a reply to message #545373] Wed, 29 February 2012 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Using NFS for RAC is the same as NFS for single instance, just the usual routine for enabling the Direct NFS driver. But I really wouldn't advise it.
If your system administrators want to use NFS, you can still use ASM. Create a set of files on the NFS device, and present them to ASM as the ASM discs. You won't get all the advantages of ASM because the underlying geometry of the discs will be hidden from ASM by the NFS layer, but this should still be much better performing than not using ASM at all.

Re: installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545450 is a reply to message #545404] Wed, 29 February 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
janakors
Quote:

Create a set of files on the NFS device, and present them to ASM as the ASM discs

here you mean that i create an NFS share on NAS say 1 TB and present it as disk to ASM

Regards

[Updated on: Wed, 29 February 2012 09:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545453 is a reply to message #545450] Wed, 29 February 2012 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
No, I mean Create a set of files on the NFS device, and present them to ASM as the ASM discs. I would want at least 8, for performance.
Re: installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545472 is a reply to message #545453] Wed, 29 February 2012 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
janakors
sir i am not getting which files you are talking about, what i think that 1 tb of nfs share is mounted on solaris and then oracle will make it data files in it . kindly could you more elaborate it or suggest a link for reading

sorry may be i am asking silly question but actually i didnt do any installation on shared file system

regards
Re: installing / configuring real application cluster using NFS instead of ASM [message #545482 is a reply to message #545472] Wed, 29 February 2012 13:16 Go to previous message
John Watson
If you don't understand, I suspect that you are not familiar with the ASM architecture. In that case, you had better not attempt to use ASM. This is unfortunate, because the performance will usually be fantastic compared to any other solution. But you do need to understand it. Have you rad the storage guide yet?
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e18951/toc.htm#
And read the relevant Metalink articles? An 11.2 cluster is a complex environment, you must study it before implementing.
(Or hire consultants - my boss would be happy to quote Smile )

Previous Topic: Network service not up on RAC node 1 !
Next Topic: Global cache Average CR get time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:36:59 CDT 2024