Home » Other » Client Tools » Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager (Oracle enterprise manager grid control)
Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577108] Tue, 12 February 2013 07:26 Go to next message
anandsrivastavaa
Hello all,

Can anybody give me a comparison of oracle and toad products.
I know we have oracle enterprise manager for doing application and enterprise management.
I am listing the tools from toad
Can somebody list the tools from oracle which have or perform the same functionality.
Toad
Toad Development Suite for Oracle
Toad DBA Suite for Oracle
Toad for SQL Server Professional Edition
Toad for SQL Server Xpert Edition
Toad Data Point Pro Edition
Toad Data Point Pro Edition- with analytics
Toad for IBM DB2 Professional Edition for LUW
Toad for IBM DB2 Professional Edition for z/OS
Toad for IBM DB2 Xpert Edition for z/OS
Toad for Sybase Xpert DB Admin Edition
Toad Development Suite for Sybase
Toad DBA Suite for Sybase.

Thank you for your help friends.
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577147 is a reply to message #577108] Tue, 12 February 2013 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
  • Toad - is a general name; I suppose its Oracle match is just "Oracle".
  • Toad Development Suite for Oracle - that might be Oracle SQL Developer.
  • Toad DBA Suite for Oracle - I don't know the difference between two Toad versions (Development vs DBA suite) so I can't tell anything about Oracle either.
  • The rest of Toad products is not related to Oracle but SQL Server, DB2, Sybase, whatever.
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577159 is a reply to message #577147] Tue, 12 February 2013 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anandsrivastavaa
Thanks for the answer
But i wanted to know similar tools from oracle...which toad has..a capaibility comparison of the tools from both Oracle and quest software...
Does oracle enterprise manager mixed with devlopment packs and other add ons do the task of toad..
i need this so dat i can decide to buy toad or oracle software based on comparison of functionality..
thanks
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577164 is a reply to message #577159] Wed, 13 February 2013 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If that's so, perhaps you should first download and install (free!) Oracle SQL Developer, read documentation (in order to find out its capabilities) and start using it. Then you'll see whether it suits your needs or not. If not, consider buying some other tools.
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577172 is a reply to message #577164] Wed, 13 February 2013 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anandsrivastavaa
Can you tell me how SQL developer is different from OEM.

If my req is code development,maintenance,support for SQL,Netapp ,database and cloud capability can toad do it?
Does OEM does all these tasks or i need SQL Developer to do the development of the code.
Also for OEM do i only need to buy management packs,add ons ONLY if i have database enterprise edition 11g.
pleas let me know

Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577175 is a reply to message #577172] Wed, 13 February 2013 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't use OEM but - after a quick view at the documentation - I, somehow, doubt that it is used for code development. As its name says, it is a "manager" (not a "developer"). However, I don't see any drawback in using OEM and SQL Developer side by side.

As of TOAD, I use it as a developer. Cloud capabilities and stuff? No idea, really. Someone else might know, though.
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577521 is a reply to message #577175] Mon, 18 February 2013 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
IMO, OEM is primarily a DBA tool. Diagnostics, database maintenance etc.

That said, most database maintenance is usually done via cli in my experience - EM/Grid has excellent uses, but most (rightly, again IMO) stick to cli for DBA tasks.

Anyway, Littlefoot is right, it is very much not a developer tool, even if it does give you a raw sql window Wink
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #577588 is a reply to message #577521] Mon, 18 February 2013 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anandsrivastavaa
thanks guys...good answers!!!
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #578836 is a reply to message #577172] Tue, 05 March 2013 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thatjeffsmith

>>Can you tell me how SQL developer is different from OEM.

Oracle SQL Developer is the IDE for the database. It's a client tool that allows you to connect to the database, run queries and scripts, develop, debug, test, and tune stored procedures, browse and maintain objects, build data models, migrate from 3rd party databases to Oracle, create and run reports, load data to Oracle, export data to various formats, perform database administration tasks, and more.

OEM is a web interface for monitoring and managing your databases. There is some overlap between the two tools, but they each address a different set of problems.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2013 12:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #578838 is a reply to message #578836] Tue, 05 March 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Jeff,
OP last visited this forum on Mon, 18 February 2013 20:54; so may not see your words of wisdom any time soon.
Re: Comparison of Toad and Oracle enterprise manager [message #578844 is a reply to message #578838] Tue, 05 March 2013 13:05 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Maybe; but I'm quite sure you saw these words of wisdom, and I saw them. And some/many more will. So - where's the problem, exactly?
Previous Topic: load tables from sql server to oracle
Next Topic: usage of Package in 10g Form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:35:19 CDT 2024