Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Need Help to Create Shared file system between two Desktop PC
Need Help to Create Shared file system between two Desktop PC [message #584497] Tue, 14 May 2013 22:00 Go to next message
rame_007
Hi All,

Need one small help.
We are setting RAC between two machines(Desktop PC connected wirth LAN ....have storage Local to them and no Shared storage..Only NFS).
We have shared the mount point by NFS.
We do not have any shared storage but we need to share the RAW files to setup the OCR and VOTING DISKS.
The problem is:
1. We need to keep the RAW devices for OCR and voting disk common to the machines (Desktop PC..both Linux OELU5). I am able to create the raw file systems but that is local to one machine. I am not able to understand how to share the raw devices between two machines.
2. Tried to use ISCSI utility but that did not work. (How_to_use_iSCSI_Targets_on_Linux)

Any help?

Scenario : One Machine has 500 GB Storage. Second machine has 80 GB Storage. Made private and public networks(Used two Network cards in LAN). All are communicating.

Problem : Need to make the storage 300GB (Out of 500 GB) of Machine 1 as shared storage. How can we do that? (Do we need any virtual software...ex .. vmware for that?)

Thanks in advance

[Edit MC: removed useless empry lines]

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2013 00:34] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need Help to Create Shared file system between two Desktop PC [message #584498 is a reply to message #584497] Tue, 14 May 2013 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
What does problem or solution have to do with Oracle DB?
Re: Need Help to Create Shared file system between two Desktop PC [message #584532 is a reply to message #584498] Wed, 15 May 2013 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rame_007
Hi, I need to install RAC 10G and in order to do that I need to create voting disk on RAW storage. Thats why I was asking how to do that if I have two PC connected with LAN.
Re: Need Help to Create Shared file system between two Desktop PC [message #584550 is a reply to message #584497] Wed, 15 May 2013 05:52 Go to previous message
John Watson
Are you sure you can use NFS? I didn't think that was possible with 10g.
The only solution I can think of that might work would be to create partitions for vote disk, OCR, and ASM disks on your 500G disc, export them as an iSCSI target, and mount them on both machines with the iSCSI initiator. You'll probably have to download the iSCSI RPMs from sourceforge.
But the whole exercise is useless: it would never work in a production environment, and for education there is no point in using such out-of-date products.
Previous Topic: SPECIFY NETWORK INTERFACE USAGE" SCREEN DOESN'T SHOW BOTH INTERFACE CARD DETAILS
Next Topic: Unable to bring up +ASM2 & CRS2 instances in node2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:58:35 CDT 2024