Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC 11g, Scan Listener & Failover (11gr2 on Linux)
RAC 11g, Scan Listener & Failover [message #626590] Wed, 29 October 2014 09:49 Go to next message
x744mail@gmail.com
HI All,
I have an 11gr2 2 node cluster that I've built on Linux and have a question about client application failover.
The cluster has 3 scan listeners, all light up when performing nslookup, and srvctrl config scan shows the scan listeners are enabled and running.

So, if I have applications connecting through the scan listener, and the node that services that connection goes down - what are my options for 'in-flight' connections?
Do they all need to reconnect? Or should they failover in flight? I've played extensively with TNSNames - but the doc shows that TNS only needs the scan listener. It never addresses any failover options.

Can anyone share any experience they've had around this? OR point me to the relevant doc for this subject?
Thanks!
Chris

[Updated on: Wed, 29 October 2014 09:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RAC 11g, Scan Listener & Failover [message #626591 is a reply to message #626590] Wed, 29 October 2014 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

The key words you are looking for are Transparent Application Failover (TAF) or Fast Application Notification (FAN). You will (almost certainly) be looking at TAF. You configure the service to enable it, either in the OCR with the srvctl utility or on the database with dbms_service.
Re: RAC 11g, Scan Listener & Failover [message #627038 is a reply to message #626591] Thu, 06 November 2014 12:44 Go to previous message
ezhou
If app. setup and support RAC, it should be failover on the fly seemlessly, end user shouldn't notice it, called TAF. your application has to be setup properly, and check your app. docs related to RAC setup. TNSnames is not enough for app. failover.
Previous Topic: The CPU number between 2 nodes
Next Topic: new RAC install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:33:34 CDT 2024