Home » Developer & Programmer » Precompilers, OCI & OCCI » Accessing Oracle from Mainframe (IBM z/OS, Oracle 11g)
Accessing Oracle from Mainframe [message #664178] Thu, 06 July 2017 05:19 Go to next message
saikumar81
One of our project is looking for information about accessing data present in ORACLE from IBM Mainframe applications (Z/OS). The data is lying on Oracle which is in a separate server and the IBM mainframe system, using COBOL programs need to access the data from Oracle.

I heard that by using 'Oracle Access Manager for CICS' we can access Oracle data from IBM mainframe applications. If yes, then are there any limitations/considerations on the Oracle version we are using ? I heard that this feature (Oracle Access Manager for CICS/IMS) is only supported in older versions of Oracle(i.e. 10g) but not in 11g or 12c ? Is Oracle still supporting 'Oracle Access Manager for CICS/IMS' ? Has anyone done this or do you have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sai
Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframe [message #664182 is a reply to message #664178] Thu, 06 July 2017 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I know nothing about "Oracle Access Manager for CICS" but I can say that you can access any version Oracle database from mainframes using Pro*Cobol.

Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframe [message #664188 is a reply to message #664178] Thu, 06 July 2017 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
The first several years of my career (in the 80's and early 90's) was as a cobol/CICS programmer. Unfortunately that was left behind when I transitioned into the DBA role, and I have no hands-on with accessing Oracle from cobol. I do know you'd need a client and the pro*cobol preompiler, but I don't know if CICS throws anything else in. I can imagine that it might, though, seeing as other file/data access is different under CICS. On the other hand I can equally see it handled by a pre-compiler. You'd probably be best off contacting an Oracle sales rep directly.
Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframe [message #664189 is a reply to message #664178] Thu, 06 July 2017 07:31 Go to previous message
John Watson
You should be OK for some time. The Oracle 10.2.0.4 client for z/OS will be able to logon on to a release 11 or 12 database no problem. No guarantee for release 13, whenever it comes. The relevant Metalink article is this one,

Oracle Database on z/OS Support Status (Doc ID 461234.1)
Previous Topic: COBOL and ORACLE (Pro* COBOL)
Next Topic: PLS-S-00201, identifier 'STATS_MODE' must be declared
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:08:22 CDT 2024